Downspouts and functional rain gutters continue to be valuable components for homes in areas receiving heavy downpour during the rainy months. Now, that you have decided to proceed with a gutter installation, you should know how to go about it. While most of the households call in the experts for a professional installation, you should be familiar with the process. In case you are thinking to go with the DIY process, Here’s the ultimate guideline you have been looking for.
How to carry out a seamless gutter installation?
Measurements and plans
- Pick a clear day and clean out the space, doing away with your old gutters. Make sure to carry proper removal and cutting tools like light hammers, screwdrivers, and hacksaws.
- Check out the area for possible signs of decomposed materials of gutter foundation or rotted wood. In case these structures are weak, your gutter system would not be in place for long.
- Measure the areas in which the gutters are to be installed. Splash small quantities of water on your home. Now take a note of the areas where the water mostly accumulates. These are the areas where you should install your downspouts.
- Now make a list of gutter hangers, that you would require. During the gutter installationperiod, these hangers would support your downspouts and gutters.
Assemble the gutters
- Professionals recommend pre-assembling the gutters when they are placed on the ground. This implies that you need not connect the sections while installing the same on the hangers.
- Use rivets, seam covers, and caulk to connect these sections. Since you need not support the weight of the gutter on your roof’s side, you can ward off chances of damages due to improper support.
Working on your gutter slopes
- Well, it isn’t possible to install the gutters, placing them parallel to the angle of the fascia board. Therefore, you need to carry out the new gutter installation on a slope. This requires you to fix a nail at the top of the gutter on the fascia board, close to the shingles.
- Remove around 1/4th of an inch using a solid edge from the last position. Repeat this process every 10 feet across the fascia board. Before initiating the gutter installation process, use strings or chalk to examine the slope.
Installing the downspouts
- When the gutter installation process is complete, move on to the downspouts. Before you fix these downspouts near the outlet, inspect for possible obstructions for the outlets and downspouts. Use a hammer and chisel to mark the outlet areas, snipping the same.
- When you start working on the downspouts, apply proper caulking and sealants. Besides the installation rivets, using gutter sealant ensures a waterproof seal. This enables the downspout to collect runaway water, enhancing its lifespan.
Installing hangers and gutter flashing
- During gutter installation, you will notice that they have flashings, that integrate into the shingles of your roof. Besides, they remain attached to the gutter’s back end. At times, you might find that the metal gutter apron is not too long. Therefore, it would not reach the other edge of the gutter. For better coverage, make sure to install sheet metal below the bent flashing.
- At last, when you are done with screwing the gutters, install the hangers. The distance between these small hangers should be two feet.
Planning a gutter installation? Call in the experts
While the gutter installation process seems simple, you can never deny the value of professionalism. Therefore, it makes sense to hire an established company in your city to handle the installation process. This ensures that you won’t be worrying about faulty installation or inferior quality parts. Established installers carry a decent track record, and they know each step in and out. Rather than getting your hands dirty, reach out to the experts for a professional installation.